This Blog Is About


This blog is about---You! Each and every post is about you. Use it to challenge your usual patterns, as a tool for self-discovery, to stimulate your thinking, to learn about yourself and to answer your questions about others.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Confidence

How do you find a top-notch helping professional?

 "If you lose confidence in your financial adviser, all is lost."  Mike Weintraub (find a story about him in the post titled, Paying It Forward and Benefactors).  When I heard this statement from my friend, right away I began thinking about how true this is for so many people who are in some sort of service or helping position with each of us.  It isn't just your financial adviser you want to feel confidence in; it is your doctor, your tax preparer, your dentist, your secretary if you have one, your chiropractor, physical therapist, broker, electrician, and your therapist. 

How do you develop confidence in one of these or in other types of service providers you might employ?  I have been thinking about those  I have come to trust and trying to define why that is and how that happened.  There are also some in whom I was not able to place my confidence.  What's the difference I've been asking myself.  And do the qualities of those I do feel I can rely on generalize to all?

These are the characteristics and experiences I've noticed with the 'keepers' in my life.  Do you have anything to add?  I'd really be interested in your comments.

  • Someone who explains in a way I can understand and who does not become impatient with sometimes having to clarify or repeat something.  
  • A person who, when in their professional role, is calm.
  • It helps if they don't appear rushed or, at least, not all the time.
  • Honesty is critically important but difficult to determine.
  • Reliable:  They do what they say they are going to do.
  • They can show a human side (like a sense of humor, or a personal anecdote here and there), and still retain their professionalism.
  • Pay attention:  They seem to be careful and thorough.  They either have prepared for their work with you or they are very attentive at the time of the work together.
  • What you bring up is attended to as being important.
  • They listen and address, in some way, your presenting problem or questions.  Your concerns are not dismissed in favor of their own agenda.
  • You can feel their regard for you as a complete person, not just another money-generating appointment.                                                                                                      
  • Hopefully the transaction, whatever it is, is successful for you.  But even if it somehow isn't, you come away with the conviction that the effort was sincere.
These are the experiences I've had with a variety of kinds of professionals that led me to have faith in them as opposed to those who were disappointing. Can you add anything to this list?
It seems to me that looking for criteria such as these could help a person rest easy when another individual is dealing with their personal business.

No comments:

Post a Comment